Reliable and punctual river traffic is particularly well suited to the logistics of recoverable products: it produces little noise and visual pollution and the pollution generated represents barely 1% of global CO2 emissions (51% for road transport), and also offers a floating storage solution.
HAROPA PORT has chosen to increase the possibilities of river and river-sea waste logistics, contributing to an increase of more than 30% in river waste traffic. Transport capacity, in terms of volume and load, is higher than all other modes: an adapted fleet allows the transport of from 300 to 5,000 tons in one trip, 24 hours a day.
Discover the infrastructure HAROPA PORT terminals
A network for the Seine axis
The economic sector of recoverable products is very well established on the Seine axis with more than 1,500 establishments and generates traffic of nearly 6 million tonnes per year, making it the second largest user of waterways in Ile de France.
Among the activities of this sector:
- collection of waste from selective sorting
- treatment and disposal of hazardous waste
- recycling of construction waste
- recovery of sorted waste
HAROPA PORT: sustainable and eco-responsible assets
To meet the requirements of the sector, HAROPA PORT combines all the major advantages:
- connection to a network adapted to high carrying capacities
- river logistics solutions from the heart of France's leading consumer market
- a rich and varied multimodal offer connected to the international market
- the establishment of industrial and logistical sites dedicated to the sector on HAROPA PORT
- dedicated support by a HAROPA PORT expert specializing in the waste sector.
HAROPA PORT focus: for UPM paper, the road is the river
UPM's wastepaper flows are transported by waterway to Grand Couronne (Haute-Normandie) for recycling in the group's plant. In return, the 45-foot containers are loaded with new paper reels for use in the Paris region printing plants. UPM's containerized river traffic between Grand-Couronne and the port of Gennevilliers reduces CO2 emissions by 81% compared to a 100% road solution.
HAROPA carries out numerous actions to promote modal shift (with private players but also public project managers; Syctom, RATP, SNCF, Ile de France MOBILITE, Société du Grand Paris, Sietrem…).
To learn more about HAROPA PORT's environmental excellence, find out more about the entire HAROPA PORT environmental approach.